Financial assistance and hardship

If you are experiencing difficulties in paying your electricity account, please contact your electricity retailer as soon as possible. All electricity retailers have hardship assistance schemes and can advise you as to what support they can provide.

Your retailer may also be able to offer you advice about government assistance and concessions.

For emergency financial assistance, the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI) may be able to assist. For more information and application forms, please visit the DCSI website.

The Australian Government funds a number of organisations, including financial councillors. If you require the services of a financial councillor, please visit or call 1800 007 007.